Lake Nipissing Fishing Tips
Recommended Lures and Bait:
- Underwater: Spinnerbaits (like Mepps), Plastic worms (work better in Southern than Northern lakes), Jig N’Pig, Crankbaits.
- Topwater: Jitterbug, Zaraspook, Baby Torpedo. Live bait: shiners, nightcrawlers, frogs, minnows.
- Jigs (and attached live bait – keep line taught as you jig up and down).
- Lindy Rigs used with live bait have a sliding sinker which allows fish to take bait and swallow it before hook is set.
- Slip Bobbers which allow live bait presentations with a bobber to the deeper water walleye holes. (Regular bobbers are good only in shallower waters).
- Other lures such as spinners and crankbaits.
- Live bait includes minnows, nightcrawlers, and leeches.
- Walleyes inhale bait softly and you only may feel a light tap on line – leave open bail and hold line loosely with index finger. Many experts recommend yellow lures which work in any color water. In murky water white or phosphorescent may work better; in clear water dark color lures may produce better; at night phosphorescent.